Ventures is looking for a highly motivated and passionate individual to join
the Innovation Services team as Commercial Associate. This is an opportunity to
work with a broad range of start-ups in the cleantech/sustainability sector,
whilst gaining exposure to key venture development and investment principles. The
ideal candidate will have a strong commercial skillset and an interest in
working closely with start-ups to secure grant funding and provide follow-on support
to help grow their business. Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
· Working with start-ups to identify venture development projects and compile corresponding grant applications;
· Assessing and developing start-ups’ business models and value chains;
· Identification and assessment of market opportunities including researching/characterising target markets, identifying drivers for adoption, barriers to entry etc. and identifying appropriate routes to market;
· Delivering general commercial support including business plan development, financial modelling, value chain analysis, pitch deck development etc.;
· Building relationships with clients/potential client companies; and
· Maintaining working knowledge of grants/funding landscape for cleantech/sustainability sector.
Candidates are expected to demonstrate experience and aptitude for each of these functions, obtained through professional experience, educational attainment, or voluntary activities, in their application.
· 4+ years’ relevant professional experience;
· Knowledge or experience of the sustainability and energy sectors, including technological and commercial innovation;
· Demonstrable experience in undertaking client-facing work, producing high-quality outputs to time/budget/quality objectives;
· Ability to research, develop and compile grant applications to an exceptional standard;
· Strong commercial skillset including solid understanding of business planning, financial modelling, market analysis/characterisation etc.;
· Proven organisational skills for managing multiple projects simultaneously, co-ordinating deliverables and meeting deadlines; and
· Possess outstanding interpersonal skills to engage with start-ups and wider Sustainable Ventures network.
· A 1st or upper 2nd class undergraduate degree in business or sustainability-related field; and
· A post-graduate qualification from a leading university in business, economics, technology or sustainability.
The role offers unparalleled exposure to several exciting start-ups candidates can expect a lively and engaging work environment amongst a diverse range of innovators.
Remuneration: OTE £50,000; depending on experience + discretionary bonus + long-term incentive scheme
Location: Sustainable Workspaces flagship location at Bankside, London
Sustainable Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Sustainable Ventures originates and grows new businesses spanning energy efficiency, e-mobility, smart home applications, connected cars and circular economy. Focusing on innovation and collaborative exchange, SV develops commercial propositions that address real-world sustainability issues. Successes to date include E-Car Club, the UK's first successfully crowdfunded venture exit with its acquisition by Europcar, and Powervault, whose intelligent home battery is transforming domestic energy storage.
Drawing from this experience, Sustainable Ventures now provides grant writing, commercial and project management support to a select number of start-ups, through its Innovation Services arm. Innovation Services works with start-ups throughout the cleantech/ sustainability sector, ranging from ideation to Series B stages of development. Client companies operate within a number of verticals including agri-tech, circular economy, energy, sustainable fishing, automotive and offshore wind, inter alia.